Navigation

Thursday, July 17, 2014

Market Dreams


I have some really exciting news for you today, and I can't believe I didn't spill the beans earlier. You may have noticed the little button in my sidebar that proclaims my inclusion in the Top 40 Beauty & Lifestyle Bloggers for the Kidspot Voices of 2014 campaign? Well, I'm extremely humbled to say that I've been chosen to participate in the "Paint The Town Ford" challenge! For the past couple of weeks, I've been cruising around town in a brand new Ford Kuga Titanium, which I must say, is quite a step up from "Arnie", my little Mazda who is missing the door handles and has at least 3000 spiders living on him (I still love you Arnie!) Over the next month or so, I'll be taking the Kuga out on some adventures, snapping tonnes of photos, and having an all around nice time with my new ride.

For our first adventure, my pal Vanessa and I headed into Eveleigh Farmer's Markets, which is located in Carriageworks. If you're not familiar with the location, let me set the scene... All the way back in the mid-century, my grandfather worked here as a railway man! The building is heritage listed and it is the original workshop where Sydney train carriages were built from the 1880's through to the 1970's. While not as grand, it does remind me of an Australian version of Gare du Nord in Paris, with it's high ceiling, arched windows and industrial interior (the brick walls are incredible). The workshops have now been transformed into an arts hub, with everything from fashion week to theatre productions showing within it's walls.

I dragged myself out of bed on a Saturday at 7am (unheard of) in preparation for some farmer's market goodness. These markets have been going on for some time, but I've never quite been motivated enough to make it before. The grand hall was bustling with folk stocking up on breakfast, organic produce and farm fresh cheese, meat and flowers. But our first stop: Caffeine. Very important.


Once we'd warmed our hands on the paper coffee cups, it was time for a wander. We were both amazed at how many dogs were in attendance! Every shape and size, they trotted alongside their owners, oblivious to the masses of people. There was even a doggy treat stand selling organic dog biscuits.

A little further along, there was quite a crowd at the dumpling bar. I have no problem with eating dumplings for breakfast, but was a little surprised to see so many people on the same wavelength, until I spotted the famous chef Kylie Kwong cooking up a storm. No dumplings for me today, but I'll come mentally prepared for a dumpling breakfast next time.


The best thing about organic markets is discovering new and unusual fruit and vegetables. I've never seen brussels sprouts on a stalk before! I also discovered a stand selling bush tomatoes and another with Rosella cordial. In the end I stuck to a few staples, unwaxed granny smith apples, rainbow chard, leeks and beetroot. At the mushroom stall, I was tempted to make some kind of incredible Asian stir-fry, but it was too early in the morning for adventurous thinking and we opted for some Portobellos instead (they made amazing burgers!) We picked up some lavender, poppies, succulents and jonquils to spruce up our homes. Finally, there was an emergency stop at the Sonoma stand for some of their incredible bread. Vanessa: Spelt Rye. Me: Spelt Fruit Loaf.


With the shopping done, we made a beeline for the seats under the gas heater and scarfed down (ahem, daintily nibbled) some freshly made crepes. We headed back to the car and I tested out one of the best features, the hands free, key free boot (trunk) opening. A simple kick under the rear bumper tells the motion sensor that I want in, and because the key is in range, it opens automatically. I recommend amazing the general public by proclaiming "Open Sesame" while you do it.

Our haul safely stashed, we enjoyed the gorgeous sunny day that had emerged from the wintery morning and headed back home. Eveleigh Farmers Markets was so much fun, I'll definitely be back. I have my eye on the Billy Kwong stand and also spotted a Pho stall that I wouldn't mind checking out too. There's nothing better than a farmer's market visit on a weekend morning! I may have found myself a new habit.

Kitty
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Etsy